About Alison

A feisty mother earth type, who has an opinion about everything I would like to think I use my "chopsy" attitude to throw some light and perhaps a new slant on current social and cultural issues.

Since I moved to the country for a quiet life I have been lucky enough to create a more healthy more relaxed environment for myself. I love country life, Family, Friends, Horses and Dogs. I also love, photography, writing/chatting and connecting with others.

Please have a look at a collection of my photos blog,

http://i-clickphotos.blogspot.co.uk/

or join in on my chats here or on my otherblog

http://talesofamiddleagednovice.blogspot.co.uk/

which follows my efforts to learn to ride and care for horses in my 50s! or just follow me on Twitter and I will follow you back (if you are a real person) on @alisonbarton1. Enjoy and talk to me.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Sweet enough?

I take my tea without sugar, but when I was a child I loved my tea sweet with two sugars. I’ll admit the change was because I became calorie conscious, but I prefer the taste now, straight, tea flavoured.

So as children do we have to mask reality and can we deal with it better when we are all grown. No we just find different kinds of “sugar” I think. But wouldn’t it be better if we could take life as it comes, no sweeteners, no uppers or downers.  Is it possible?
I love a glass of wine, but age and the odd ailment has made it necessary to cut down. That has been good for me, my health and life in general. These crutches we find and abuse to make life more digestible, don’t work. I could joke, I’ve forgotten the best nights of my life. It’s not funny though it’s quite sad and they weren’t the best anyway.

So what can we do to make life more palatable?

Someone  has said that the best medicine is laughter and it is good but I think the best medicine is love. I’m not being soppy here, it’s really sensible and I’m not talking romance necessarily. Firstly, love yourself, how many of us really do that? If we did, would we do all those unhealthy things to our bodies. Take risks with our safety and ignore our emotional wellbeing, no we would not.  

Our unhelpful response to the pressures of life, also extend into how we spend our hard earned cash. I heard on the news this morning we as a society (particularly in the UK) are locked into a behaviour being coined as “compulsive consumerism.”  I don’t think it’s new, but it is damaging. Stop shopping and start living. Children have responded to a survey saying they would prefer to spend time with their parents, instead they get “things” to pacify them, more “sugar” hey?

So I am looking to take life straight, look it in the eyes and say come on then, show me what you got. Warts an’all! I want to be with it and even if it’s a bit sour, I will taste it, in all its glory. I can get used to it, just like my tea and yes it will be sweet enough because its mine and its all I’ve  got.

Click to hear How sweet it is to be loved by you

 So Make the you, you, its not selfish it will mean you can then be strong to love and help others. 

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

I needed the shelter of someone’s arms, and there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs, and there you were
With sweet love and devotion
Deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you baby
I want to stop and thank you baby

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

I close my eyes at night
Wondering where would I be without you in my life
Everything I did was just a bore
Everywhere I went it seems I’d been there before
But you brighten up for me all of my days
With a love so sweet in so many ways
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

You were better to me than I was to myself
For me, there’s you and there ain’t nobody else
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you

 "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" is a 1964 hit song written and produced by the Motown songwriting team of Holland–Dozier–Holland. It was originally recorded by American soul singer Marvin Gaye and became one of his most popular songs. Also recorded by James Taylor.


So Make the you, you, its not selfish it will mean you can then be strong to love and help others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi I am really interested in your comments so let me know what you think and I will get back to you if you want me to. Thanks for reading
Alison xx